Reports flooded the internet yesterday, as over twenty church-goers were shot and killed at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas. After just getting out of church myself, I was disgusted that one of the only holy places left in today’s society is no longer safe.
As normal following a shooting of any nature, in the coming days we will learn a lot about the shooter, identified as 26-year-old Devin Kelley. Here’s what we know so far:
- Kelley was married with one child.
- Classmates from high school described him as “creepy,” “outcast,” and felt “uncomfortable” around him.
- An Air Force Veteran, Kelley was discharged because of bad conduct in 2014 following an assault on a woman and child and after spending one year in military prison.
- Kelley posted a picture on Facebook on 10/29 of the assault weapon which he used to carry out his attack, using the caption, “She a bad b***h.”
- Many news outlets are reporting that Kelley was targeting “conservative white churches.”
Let’s focus on that last bullet point for a second, shall we? Targeting conservative white churches. No one else is saying it in the media, so I will: THIS. WAS. AN. ACT. OF. TERRORISM.
Don’t agree with me? Let’s look at the definition of terrorism: “The unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.”
No one wanted to call the Las Vegas massacre an act of terrorism either, even though Stephen Paddock had ties to ISIS. And no one will call this for what it is either.
The Christian Church is under attack by the far-left, and the Republican Party is being blamed for senseless gun violence (even though the hero in this story is the civilian with a gun who chased down the shooter). Even in the midst of terror to innocent people going to church, Democrats have used some of the most solemn moments in American history to push forward an anti-gun agenda.
This attack is sickening, and I suspect that more information will be coming in the next few days. Until then, stay tuned to Conservative Today for updates on this story and many more.